Friday 13 May 2011

Highland Fling 2011


Hi All

Thanks for all the Get Well messages...

The story goes something like this.....

Having completed the D33 I was so looking forward to the Fling with the WHW Race 7 weeks later...

Went to the start and meet up with Sharky, Al C and others from my club. At 7am we were off and we headed off on our journey to Tyndrum.
Sticking to my game plan I rolled in to Drymen in 2.07(12mile) feeling good, drinking my perinon and off I headed for Balmaha.. 5mins into the forest above Drymen I begin to feel the effects of heart burn which I put down to some re-flux from the perinon which is not unknown depending how you mix it (strong or weak).

The weather was getting hotter as the sun got high in the sky I arrived at Conic Hill and was still on time to reach Balmaha in 3.40 which I duly did... I get some food on from my drop bag and say a few hellos and set off for Rowardennan to meet my wife and kids.
Known this section can be a real drag I set a target of 4mph along here which should get me into Rowardennan in around 5hrs.30mins.

The heat was now causing problems for most and I was no different. I arrived in Rowardennan in 5hrs.43mins.. and was still pleased at that due to the conditions.

On sitting down for some food in the shade and a nice cold lager shandy the heart burn became a tight pain in my central chest and was getting worse.... 15mins passed and I then know that things were not right and ask my wife to speak to the Doctor...

My wife is a Sister in ITU and quickly called for an ambulance which duly arrived in the form of a helicopter.... After some great work by the crew I was air lifted to the Royal Jubilee Hospital and fitted with a stent to clear the blocked right artery..

I have been told that I was very unlucky but also very luck as it could have been worse... I will make a full recovery and should be back running in 8wks but no ultra till next year....

so on the whole Ive got to be pleased...

No comments:

Post a Comment