Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Glen Ogle 33

The 5th November 2011 saw the 1st running of the Glen Ogle 33.

After the great success of the Glenmore 24, Mike and I pressed on with our plans to hold a one day event, we had reccied the route many weeks before and decided the race was a goer. Now all the hard work would begin, notify the Police, arrange sponsors, get locals on side etc.

We had thought at this time of year we would get maybe 30 to 50 hardy ultra runners to come out and brave what could be a cold Scottish day.. But never did we expect 150 entries. The route was to follow the National Cycle Route No7,starting at Strathyre following the road round to Balquidder and on to Kinghouse before going off road before following the old railway line up Glen Ogle and over the famous Glen Ogle Viaduct which can be seen as you travel along the A85.

Crossing the road at the top of the glen before taking in a loop of the forest and then the return trip back down the glen and back to Strathyre to the finish...With numbers growing to 100 a new start would be need on safety grounds as having a 100 runners on the B class road was not an option.. And with that another reccie was required to find a new safer start for the race.. The new start would take place on part of the Rob Roy Way a 5min walk from the original start in the picnic area, not long after numbers would peak at 150,which Mike and I were flattered by.. All that was left was to put on a race for all to enjoy..

The new start was confirmed but would affect our overall distance but safety comes first...
An early start was needed (4.30am) on race day to set up registration and put out last of the signs at 6.30am registration opened and runners began to arrive and Strathyre was busy with runners getting ready, Many who we know from Glenmore24 and from races Mike and I had taken part in but no time to chat...With a quick briefing to each of the checkpoint teams they set off for their station with a spring in their steps.. It was still only 7am.

At 7.45am runners began to move across the road and up the hill to the new start, with everyone gathered I carried out the uncomfortable task of race briefing(am not a big public speaker) and with all the gray stuff said we were under starters orders and with a blow of the whistle we were off...

The first 1.5mile was uphill and with the chilly start and mist rolling over the hills the runners would warm up quickly... Paul Raistrick and Gareth Mayze setting the early pace with Lucy Colquhon also shown strong running in the early stages, it wouldn’t be long till they would reach the first checkpoint/water station.... Over the next 50mins all runners would be all off road and heading up the glen and over the viaduct. The sun was now out and warming up the early morning air with runners now approaching checkpoint 2 with a group of 6 or 7 forcing the pace but Paul and Gareth still out front. There was also steady running from Rebecca Johnson taking part in her first ultra as second women at the top of the glen and round the forest.

Now most runners were reaching the top of glen for their loop of the forest only to find that Paul, Gareth, Lucy making the return trip down the glen... Some confusion with a sign in the forest caused 12 runners to go the wrong way.. But most.. that had any doubt checked their race map and carried on..(We accept the sign could cause confusion and will ensure all signage is double checked for next year race..)

With all runners heading back down the glen to checkpoint 4 word filters through that Paul Raistrick finishes in 1st place 3hr.21mins with Gareth Mayze in 2nd place and Lucy Colquhon takes 1st place in the women’s race with Rebecca Johnson 2nd. Checkpoint 2/3 is cleared and we move down to Checkpoint 4 to see Ray MaCurdy, Fiona Rennie and Karen Donoghue all come through, with a few runners still to pass through the last checkpoint we head to the finish area.

The sweeper calls in to say that the last 2 runners have past the last checkpoint and Jim Drummond and Jim McIntyre(Jim been our oldest runner at 74?) are running in together and just after 3pm the 2 Jims cross the bouncy bridge and finish in the picnic area in 7hrs.25mins.

Well done to everyone who took part in the Glen Ogle 33. Thank you for given the race all your support, Congratulations to Lucy Colquhon, Rebecca Johnson, Kathy Henly, Paul Raistrick, Gareth Mayze and Craig Reid our prize winners on the day..

Thank to our sponsor Sweatshop, The Inn, 9Bar and Elet Water.

Thanks to all the marshals who gave up there day to help out.

We accept we have somethings to improve on for next year and we will ensure this happens.

Once again Thanks

Bill and Mike.


  1. Thanks guys, another cracking day out, I've got both your races in next years diary already.

  2. Sorry... Guys dont know how I missed this... Glad you had fun heres to 2012..