Saturday 12 June 2010

West Highland Way 2010

Cannot believe Ive not been on here for a while so I will bring it up to date.

Highland Fling 2010.(53miles)

My target in this years race was to take about an hour off my time.
Everything was going ok till about 18mile and it all started to go wrong, struggling to run and once again as the previous year the weather was going to play a big factor on people feinishing.
Reaching the halfway point I was 10mins slower than the year before this is when you know things are going wrong. After some food I headed off for what must be the hardess part of the WHW. Rowardennan to Inversnaid went well and then once again up to Beinn Ghlas was a slog. Tempertures were now nudging 22c and people were dropping out all the way up the route even a passed winner drop out at 41mile due to the weather. 343 started and 271 finished. I arrived at Beinn Ghlas still 10mins down on last years time so no PB this year and with legs of lead the last 12miles were going to be hard. Heading off again I got to 47mile and the wheels came off big style, bad cramp in right calf wouldnt free off which put pay to my race for the day and with the main event for the year only 8 weeks away I wasnt wanting to take any chances. Having a DNF against your name can be a bit of a bummer but its what you learn from not completing a race that makes you stronger for the next one. I have now changed a few things for the full WHW Race with a week to go things are very positive. So at 1am on the 19th June it will be a trip into the unknown 95mile in 35hrs so happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment